25 October, 2009

Amazing Grace

Last week I experienced the tiniest bit of persecution from some people close to me. Seems they are offended by us and our desire to share the gospel. But this post isn’t about them. This is about one of the ways in which God spoke to me through it.

After the initial shock, trying to sort out the issues from the words that were said, and trying to discern where I might have done any wrong, Ephesians 2 just popped into my head during the middle of my sleepless night. I read it the next morning and decided that it really didn’t speak to my situation, and dismissed the thought. For, it didn’t speak to persecution, or false gospel, or how the gospel is divisive, etc.

A day or two later, I couldn’t seem to get Ephesians 2 out of my head, so I thought I’d give it another try and read it again. And there it was…verses 8-10, the ones we all know about the nature of salvation;

8For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9not by works, so that no one can boast. 10For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

And it finally hit me. While I was busy justifying myself and providing myself assurance of no wrongdoing,  the Holy Spirit wanted to remind me that the only difference between me and them… was His grace.

My heart broke, my anger vanished, my hurt took a right turn and landed me at the cross, with a moment of clarity that I can’t describe with words. About the reality of sin, of hell; of the battle that goes on all around us all the time, for souls.

So, the next time a random chapter or verse pops into your head, read it, until you figure out what God is saying to you.  Because "all Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work." 2 Tim 3:16-17

3 comments:

  1. I am always so encouraged by your spirit, and your blog! Thanks you for your badly needed input!

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "my hurt took a right turn and landed me at the cross"

    Thank you for that line, it really spoke to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You certainly have a gift, and I'm so glad that you're blessing me and others with it!!!

    ReplyDelete